Apple releases standalone Podcasts app for iOS
Apple has today released a standalone podcasts app for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. The app, which some speculated would launch later this year with iOS 6, features a “Top Stations” guide for content discovery, playback syncing between different iOS devices, the ability to stream shows, and a sleep timer.
The Top Stations screen has a radio-like dial for scrolling between categories, and is a great way to discover new shows. Podcasts begin playing with a single tap on their album artwork.
The playback screen includes a retro-style animated tape deck with options for changing the playback speed, setting a sleep timer, and sharing the podcast via email, Twitter or Messages.
App Store description:
Podcasts app is the easiest way to discover, subscribe to and play your favorite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Explore hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts from the Podcasts Catalog, and play the most popular podcasts, organized for you by topic, with the all-new Top Stations feature.
- Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
- Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
- Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
- Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
- Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
- Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
- Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
- Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
- Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
- Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
- Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
The Podcasts app requires iOS version 5.1, and is compatible with the following devices: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch 3rd & 4th generation, and the iPad.
Download it for free from the App Store.