Apple releases Safari 6 for OS X Lion
Although you would be forgiven for thinking that today is all about OS X Mountain Lion, Apple has also released a Safari update for OS X Lion users. Available to download via Software Update, Safari 6 includes a number of new features, plus improvements to stability, compatibility, usability & security.
Safari 6 for OS X Lion contains new features, including:
- Smart Search Field. Safari now has one field for typing both searches and web addresses.
- Offline Reading List. Safari saves entire webpages in your Reading List so you can catch up on your reading even when you don’t have an Internet connection.
- Do Not Track. Safari can send the websites you visit a request not to track you online.
- Password pane. Manage your saved website logins with the new Password pane.
- Baidu. The leading Chinese search engine Baidu is now a built-in option for Chinese users.
Safari 6 for OS X Lion also includes improvements to stability, compatibility, usability and security, including changes that:
- Make the swipe to navigate gesture work with PDFs.
- Restore the state of Reading List when Safari is launched.
- Fix an issue that affected full screen video in webpages that have positioned content.
- Restore the user’s previous cookies after Private Browsing without requiring a Safari relaunch.
And if you are planning on upgrading to Mountain Lion soon, you will find that Safari 6 comes bundled with the new OS by default.